EMC Announces Storage and Backup Support for New IBM zEnterprise EC12 System
Innovative Portfolio Designed for Specific Needs of Mission-Critical IBM Mainframe Environments
- EMC offers immediate support for the now-generally available IBM zEnterprise EC12 mainframe system.
- EMC Disk Library for mainframe—including the recently announced EMC DLm8000—supports EC12, offering EC12 mainframe customers one of the only mainframe virtual tape libraries that ensure consistency between tape data at both production and recovery sites.
- EMC® VMAX™ Family supports IBM’s new zEnterprise EC12 with efficiency through automated storage tiering, disaster recovery and continuous availability capabilities specifically for mainframe customers.
EMC (NYSE:EMC) today announced immediate storage and backup support for customers deploying the new IBM zEnterprise EC12 Mainframe System. Through this support, EMC is offering EC12 customers with powerful, trusted and smart storage for the world’s most demanding mission-critical mainframe environments.
For over 20 years, EMC has invested and innovated to address the specific performance, availability and backup needs of mission-critical mainframe applications and data. The result is one of the industry’s broadest portfolios of mainframe solutions and technologies, including the powerful, trusted and smart EMC VMAX Family, EMC Connectrix storage connectivity capabilities, fully automated storage tiering (FAST) software and the EMC Disk Library for mainframe.
EMC Portfolio Support for IBM zEnterprise EC12
- Efficiency and Performance: EMC FAST VP (Fully Automated Storage Tiering for Virtual Pools) automatically optimizes application performance and maximizes the benefits of Flash drives for EC12 mainframe customers. FAST VP for mainframe count-key data (CKD) volumes brings the automation, performance and economies of scale benefits of FAST VP to mainframe-based workloads and applications.
- Virtual Tape: The recently announced EMC DLm8000 is one of the only mainframe virtual tape libraries that ensure consistency between tape data at both production and recovery sites, providing the shortest possible RPO and RTO for critical recovery operations for EC12 environments.
- Disaster Recovery: EMC offers one of the industry’s only four-site business resiliency solution using EMC Symmetrix Remote Data Facility (SRDF®) and Geographically Dispersed Disaster Restart (GDDR) software. When combined, SRDF and GDDR automation provide near-continuous availability between data centers within a region, as well as continued disaster recovery protection in a second region located an extended geographical distance away.
- Continuous Availability: EMC AutoSwap supports the EC12 mainframe platform, providing a continuous availability solution, including support for Linux on System z workloads. It does so by enabling non-disruptive swaps of active z/OS and z/VM workloads to secondary disk storage using EMC SRDF software.
In addition, EMC Global Services provides the expertise to help customers achieve maximum stability, performance and agility from their mainframe architecture. The EMC Backup Infrastructure Assessment service aligns mainframe backup infrastructure, applications, policies and procedures to meet business demands and SLA requirements. The EMC Mainframe Transformation Services enable customers to modernize and accelerate their mainframe applications to seize new business opportunities.
Brian Gallagher, President, Enterprise Storage Division at EMC
“EMC is thoroughly committed and continues to innovate for mainframe customers. Hybrid cloud and Big Data are forcing organizations to rethink their overall IT infrastructure, including mainframe environments. EMC continues to deliver new innovation for the mainframe community to meet the performance, protection, availability and efficiency requirements demanded by zEnterprise customers—while enabling them to keep up with the mega industry trends of Cloud and Big Data. As the market leader in storage, we’re pleased to support the needs of zEnterprise EC12 customers right out of the gate.”
EMC Corporation is a global leader in enabling businesses and service providers to transform their operations and deliver IT as a service. Fundamental to this transformation is cloud computing. Through innovative products and services, EMC accelerates the journey to cloud computing, helping IT departments to store, manage, protect and analyze their most valuable asset — information — in a more agile, trusted and cost-efficient way. Additional information about EMC can be found at www.EMC.com
EMC, VMAX, Enginuity, are either registered trademarks or trademarks of EMC Corporation in the United States and other countries. All other trademarks used herein are the property of their respective owners.